Thursday, February 9, 2012

Recipe for Japanese Grain Teas; Sobacha (Buckwheat tea) and Mugicha (Barley tea)

They're really good and caffeine free. Depending to how dark you roast them will have an effect on how robust they are You can toast them on a pan for about 5-15 minutes on medium heat until the grains are a nice dark brown. Don't forget to move the grains around, or else they'll be burnt on oneside.

Depending on how strong you want your tea, you can use about a ½ tablespoon - 1 tablespoon of soba(buckwheat) or mugi (barley) for each 1 cup of water. You boil the water, then let the mugi or soba simmer for about 20 minutes on low heat. Then turn heat off and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Use a strainer to take the grains out of the tea.

You can drink them cold or hot. I usually make a big huge pan full of tea. I then put the rest in the fridge in a pitcher or mugs. It can last for days this way, and if you want to drink it cold you can or pour it into a mug and microwave for hot tea

I also toasted a good amount, so I don't have to keep toasting them every time I want to drink the tea. I'm storing them each in their own plastic bag in the fridge.

I kow mugicha can be an acquired taste. When I was a kid I didn't like it so much, but as I got older it grew on me. Sobacha was easier for me since it tastes similar to soba noodles, but in a nutty tea way. Both teas have a nutty smooth flavor. If you have something spicy to eat or a sore throat, they really help to sooth the throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment